Training is critical for professional growth and team development and nothing compares to an inspirational keynote to renew spirits for the work. However, too often the tendency, as early as the day after the “event,” is to revert back to the status quo and not critically engage with the ideas or practices until the next big event. We maintain that only 10% of the work is done during the “event,” leaving the heavy lifting on the shoulders of those to whom it belongs: the dedicated team members of the organization. However, we believe that this work also requires ongoing support, re-teaching, course correction and accountability partners. To accommodate your needs in this area, Akoben provides consultation and coaching:
Akoben’s consultations are designed to provide a set of expert eyes and analysis to an organization’s particular challenges. Consultations are time-limited projects used to analyze, diagnose and prescribe solutions. The following are some consultation projects Akoben has completed with various organizations:
- Restorative Environment Study: An Akoben Lead Team member partnered with an urban middle school to measure and analyze the level of restorative practices within the school’s culture. Using Akoben’s “Restorative Practices Implementation Rubric,” we produced a comprehensive report inclusive of independent and staff-based qualitative and quantitative data. They used this data to inform their Annual School Improvement Plan, improve staff professional development opportunities and advocate for additional funding from the district.
- Trauma-Informed Care Planning: Our team partnered with a community-based agency in the development of their Trauma-Informed Care Initiative. From identifying staffing patterns and training needs to ensuring alignment with their core mission, vision and values, we collaborated with agency staff in the development of their grant proposal for the initiative.
- Code of Conduct Overhaul: An Akoben Lead Team member facilitated the process of a complete re-imagination of a large school district’s Code of Conduct. We partnered with District leadership, engaged with community and external stakeholders, including the press, project managed workflow and assignments and ensured collective empowerment throughout the process. The final product was a stronger, more relevant and restorative Code reflective of the direction the District and community were headed with their engagement with those it serves.
The Training events or Consultation are only the starting point for our Coaching process. Following a training or Consultation, through our Coaching projects, we then partner with the organization to teach, problem solve, and support accountability to move the needle on implementation. Typically, our Coaching projects run 6 – 12 months, include half or full days and are designed to run during a typical day within the client’s organization. All coaches are experts in the field and Akoben Lead Team members. Typical Coaching sessions include the following elements:
- Pre-session preparation
- Onsite brief launch meeting
- One on ones with core champion team members
- Live coaching with targeted staff members/teams
- Small-group coaching
- Debrief and strategy meeting with key leadership